Executive Chef, Peller Estates Winery
- 3 lb/1.5 kg lean ground beef
- 2 cups/500 ml diced aged cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup/125 ml finely chopped herbs
- 1/4 cup/50 ml chopped onion
- 1/4 cup/ 50 ml hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp/25 ml finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp/15 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups/500 ml chopped bacon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup/125 ml bread crumbs
- 3 tsp/15 ml salt
- 3 tsp/15 ml ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup/125 ml barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup/50 ml hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp/25 ml honey
- 1 tsp/5 ml ground cinnamon
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, cheddar, herbs, onions, hoisin and garlic and Worcestershire.
Sauté the bacon over medium heat until cooked through. Add the warm bacon, including the fat, to the beef mixture. Stir in the eggs, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Once it’s well combined, form the mixture into eight evenly sized burgers and chill.
Combine the barbecue sauce with the hoisin, honey and cinnamon.
Cook the burgers on a very hot grill, brushing with the glaze each time they are turned. Warm the buns on the side or on the top rack. Once the burgers are cooked through, remove from the grill and brush once more with the glaze.
Spread the mustard on the bottom layer of each bun.
Add the burger, watercress, sliced tomato and onion; cap with the bun top.